Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Ledye Diabaté - Kaira


My new teacher, Ledye Diabaté, playing one of the songs that he's teaching me. It's called "Kaira," and I'm not half bad at it... This is on the kora, a 21-stringed harp-like instrument made out of a large calabash (gourd), blessed wood (not sure about that one), and leather. He makes them out of materials here. Today, while trying to tune it, he broke a string, sending us on an hour odyssey into the bowels of the market to find new fishing line. It's all fixed, so now I can get back to practicing.

4 comments:

  1. Hey Chris, what camera are you using in the field? Thanks for posting the blog and hope all continues to go well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is with a Nikon D5000 dSLR. The video's great, but the audio is pretty lousy. (The dSLR with the audio jack was much more...). I have an H2 for audio, but I've been feeling lazy, so you're stuck with this. It misses the low range, but it's passable.

    You heading off anytime soon?

    ReplyDelete
  3. So THAT's that sound...Beautiful..

    ReplyDelete