Wednesday, June 4, 2008

The argument...

So I just witnessed quite the argument/discussion about Sufism between Ahmed’s brother (white jallaba, beards in hand) and this other fella (jeans, polo, younger, studying with Mohammad). The brother was lecturing the other on what a Sufi is. The other is now de-stressing with Mohammed’s sister, and I believe that I heard him say “Ana tasawwuf!” a few times. I think that he was just scolded, and I only hope that I didn’t cause this by coming downstairs at a terrible moment! I really need to learn my Arabic.

Earlier today I found out that Hejji Karim knows a Gnawa! Hopefully it’s true! I am afraid that I need to initiate more intentionally.

Annie and I had a wonderful morning, sitting with the group around the corner (Said, Hejji, some old men). We talked, had tea, and she was given earrings and a port d’eau (?). I even got a ring from the deal. We met my family and had some lunch before she had to head back.

No comments:

Post a Comment