Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Sick day.

This morning I woke up feeling somewhat lousy. So, of course, I went back to bed. The lack of language skills is exhausting. That’s why I ended up staying in all day, I realized after a while. I didn’t have the energy for a long sit with Said, Hejji, Mohammed, or Abd ar-Rzaq, and that limits my ability to wander the streets. When I want to avoid everyone, I end up closed in since each road now contains familiar faces. Exhausting.

I did, however, get to explore a new part of the house today. Si Ahmed asked if I’d like to join him on the roof, and after getting there he began to work while I sat. He uses just one small wooden table, full of large spaces between the old boards, and a giant pair of scissors. His ruler is a properly cut piece of wood. I guess that after time you learn that you only need one or two lengths to measure – an actual ruler is far more tool than is sufficient for the job. And his only pattern was cut into a piece of thick cardboard. That’s it. And while I sat there he made the fabric cuttings for probably 50 dresses. All yellow. Then Mohammed came up to feed his pidgins with Do’a. Watching her play with the (impressively large) birds was quite the pleasure.

The evening was the most satisfying part of the day (it always is) since the small girl from the neighbor’s family came by. I made her sit and help me with my Arabic – we worked on adjectives. Since I didn’t know the word for “opposite,” I had to act out what I was trying to get, which never really worked the way it should have.

Yesterday afternoon was a highlight of the trip thus far, since I got to sit with Abd ar-Rzaq for the first time (during the day). Our previous conversation was somewhat off the cuff, and absolutely unexpected. I prepared notes and questions for him while waiting for his arrival, but since it took much longer than I had hoped, I ended up talking to his friend. This conversation was almost as helpful as what came after it – never underestimate the power of speaking with those who think they know nothing.

When Abd ar-Rzaq did arrive, he sat and spoke with me about the mluks, all 7 men and 4 women, and gave me two names for each. Before he would answer something, he would ask me what I know, almost as if he’s testing my interest or research, perhaps to see if I’m serious. Maybe tomorrow I’ll ask to go see his friend about buying a hajuj myself. UF may end up with a free one as a donation in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment