Monday, February 28, 2011

Memories of the Old Place

As of this afternoon, we no longer reside in one of Fez' most prestigious abodes. We moved from one palace to another. We only had to go a short 5-minute walk away, but with the windsucking uphill battle against incessant (and uneven) stairs, hot damn...

So just to get back into the habit of posting, I'm going to toss up a few old photos that had no proper place before. Think of it as a small ode-to-the-old-house-slash-taking-care-of-business-so-we-can-all-move-on-with-life post. We're close to being settled, classes are over, and it's about time to roll up the sleeves and do some research.

(Speaking of...) I just returned from a trip out west and down south to Sidi Ali, Marrakech, and Tamesloht. I was interviewed for a film that a French group is making - suddenly I'm a resident 'Gnawa Musicologist Expert.' Not sure exactly when that transition happened, but I'm glad to have made it. More on that soon, God willing.

Peace

Brunch for the first (probably ever) Fez "Stitch and Bitch"

While Annie and friends were stitching and bitching, us men went back to the Mellah (the old Jewish quarter, now filled with antique shops and goods likely taken from those Jews who left Morocco) to pick up her new writing desk. The new prized  possession...

As part of the negotiations, I got myself this little something. I have yet to get it fixed, though. But once I do, I'll be the coolest guy around.

Check it out! I made a banjo case! With a sewing machine! It even has a secret pocket.
 
I've spent a lot of time lately just sitting around playing the new banjo. Eric (the one making the absurd gesture here) got himself a mandolin and has been joining in. Except for those nights when we've had a bit too much gin and he loses his pic... Then we gotta get down to the difficult business of finding it on those pain in the neck tiles.

Just before we left, we took one last day for a good, old fashioned barbecue and some bluegrass on the roof. Winter has left us, and the comforts of spring are making their way across the city.

No comments:

Post a Comment