Saturday, February 5, 2011

Poisoned by the Cold

With all the blankets, I guess I just looked like a cozy seat.
It's cold. During one of my classes a few weeks ago I learned four different ways to say that I'm really, really cold (ranging from "the cold is poisoning me" to other less politically correct phrases). It's a constant battle, keeping our fingers and toes intact. The funny thing is, like in Florida, winter is not that rough during the day and in the sun. Temperatures regularly sit in the 60s. But the old city, where we live, was made for summertime. Walls are high, windows are conspicuously absent, streets are narrow. The world sits in the shade while cold breezes settle into the valley. And the kicker - no central heating. 35 degree mornings become a battle of wills. Recently, I've been losing.

In fact, we have it better than most. Our house has two radiators that we can wheel around. But electricity is expensive, as expected. Some folks get propane tanks and light them on up. There's a certain vivacious living-in-the-danger-of-my-heater-exploding that really adds a zest for live into those particular solutions. Aside from wearing (all) our clothes throughout the day and night, covering in blankets, and occasionally placing the cat on cold feet (she's a very warm little animal), the hot water bottle has been a boon. But we're getting by, day by day. And when the sun is out, there's always the roof, where you run the risk of simultaneous frostbite (from the wind) and sunburn (from, obviously, the sun).

There may be some insight to the Moroccan (complete and absolute) fear of the "winter sun," but for now, we'll take whatever heat we can get.

3 comments:

  1. My thoughts on the cold:

    I think the fact that the entire old city is tiled is also important. The tiles hold in the cold, so that even when the temperature of the air has increased, cold drafts rise from the floor. Not to mention that the city was built in a ravine over a river, which runs under the streets, further cooling the tiles.

    Although I am vigilant against the cold with my layers of wool, silk, cat, hot water bottle, etc., my joints have started aching recently. And even while wearing wool sweaters, wool mittens, a wool scarf and a hat, under a mountain of blankets, I still wake up (yes, I wear all that to bed) with aching hands. I think I may be clenching them at night when I get cold!

    So yes. I know you've checked the thermostat, and its only getting into the forties here while you have temps in the 10s. But please remember that there is a giant hole in the roof, and that when the temp is forty outside, its forty inside. When is the last time you left your thermostat on forty?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel your pain. My apartment here at Frederick Gardens has no insulation, and it is pretty hard to keep the cold, damp weather from seeping through the walls. There were nights here in North Florida that got down to 18 degrees F. about a month ago. It is much better now with days in the 60s and nights in the 40s, plus I splurged on a spaceheater which really helps when I close all the bedroom doors. The only good thing about the winter here in G-ville is that it is relatively short!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hang in there Chris and Ani! Double up on your clothing layers! Maybe you need a shipment of long-johns? The Moroccan winter will probably last less than a month longer right? -TN

    ReplyDelete